Monday 30 March 2015

Bound: Alpha Mission (Angel Warrior Files Book 1) by Vicki V. Lucas



A ruthless demon overlord plots to increase his rule when two missionaries infiltrate his realm. The demons attack, but two angels stand guard. Will they be able to stop the demons before the men are killed? Will the chains of darkness be broken before all is lost?

Bound, a short story of 8,800 words, is one of the many 
files of angel warriors who battle evil and protect God’s children.


The Guru's Review: 

This is my first reading of Lucas' work and I must say I am impressed! The author states at the beginning of the book that this is an accompaniment to the newly released young adult novel, Devil's Pathway. If this short is anything to judge by, then the latter mentioned novel is going to be one fast paced and enthralling read! I am reviewing Devil's Pathway in a few month's time and now looking forward to this immensely.

Bound is based on true events that Lucas states were passed onto her by two 
missionaries, Dan Work and Ken Lobdell. Lucas' has included poetic licence to fill in the gaps about actually happened. As she says, 
When God is at work, true life is more amazing and wonderful than our imagination......We can only speculate about what was happening in the trees that night. Were angels fighting demons? One day in Heaven, we will find out exactly what occurred in those treetops. Until then, this is what I picture happening. 
Together with the true account of Work/Lobdell and Lucas's imagination, you have one exciting and uplifting tale of spiritual warfare, demonology, power of prayer, testing of faith, God's power of redemption and salvation, being obedient to Him and letting Him win this battle.  

You hit the road running in this 39 page short. The pace never lets up throughout and you are totally enthralled in the action and battle between Nagid, the demon lord and his demon army, and the two angels, Eliezer and Simiel. For a short novel, there is a lot packed in here. It took me an hour to read and I was lost in this story for that hour. I cheered at the end with the moving account of redemption and salvation. I was amazed at the language miracle, very uplifting and so encouraging to see happen outside of New Testament times. Just goes to show that God does not change as Hebrews 13:8 says, 
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
I know this is a short about spiritual warfare, angels and demons, but I loved the inclusion of God showing up, or more to the point, His power being blatantly displayed at a crucial point in the battle between angel and demon at the response of the missionaries prayer for help. I am not sure if this was part of the account from Work/Lobdell or from the poetic licence from Lucas, but I am glad it has been included as it represents that God is ever present and ever involved in the affairs of man especially when it comes to the fight over human souls. Christian fiction should not withhold any mention or involvement of God, His spirit or of Jesus. Without these three, it is not Christian fiction. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this short. It ticks all the boxes that I expect from Christian Fiction: 

  • it has entertained me immensely, 
  • it has encouraged my walk with God, 
  • it has not deviated from known biblical doctrine, and it will not, I believe, lead a non-believer astray or promote false doctrine, 
  • it honours God, 
  • it does not encourage worship of the created (eg angels) instead of the Creator (God). 

I am looking forward to the next instalment in this Angel Warrior Files series with great anticipation. 

Highly recommended. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is awaiting moderation.